I was born and raised in Pakistan and grew up as the only child in a happy household. My father was an Army officer and my mother a homemaker. My parents, together with my grandparents taught me to be forthright, honest and a hard worker.
I came to the United States from Pakistan in December of 1966 to study at California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly) in San Louis Obispo. I spoke some English when I arrived, however, it was a difficult transition. I managed to graduate with a BS in Electronic Engineering in 1969 and I later obtained an MBA at California Lutheran.
I grew to love the United States and have lived in the Los Angeles area ever since my arrival in 1966. I became a U.S. citizen in or about 1979. In 1972 I met my wife Fatima while I was visiting my parents in Pakistan. Fatima and I were married on January 28, 1973. We have now been married for over 47 years and have two wonderful boys... Faisel, who is now 44, and Osman who is 41. My sons were privileged to grow up in the United States and both graduated from prestigious colleges (University of Pennsylvania and George Washington University, respectively). Both of my sons have good jobs and bright futures.
I helped my wife Fatima in her philanthropic work during 1989-1998 for the USC Pacific Asia Museum, promoting and fostering better understanding of the South Asian people amongst Americans through Art and Cultures of the regions.
During our many trips to Pakistan, I assisted Fatima in carrying books on every form of Art indigenous to the regions; these precious books are now a part of USC Pacific Asia Museum library in Pasadena, California.
I am proud to say that next to UCLA, the USC Pacific Asia Museum has the largest collection of books on South Asian Art. I have always supported my wife Fatima in the philanthropic work she has done and I am grateful that I was able to be an integral part of it.
Helping the needy and showing kindness towards everyone, young and old, is in my nature. During the many years that I have been married to Fatima, my support for her and for my family has been monumental. To this day, I continue to motivate the young people in our families to aspire for higher education.
I have been kind to those I meet and whenever I have had an opportunity, I would help people in need. In one of my start-up companies, I had hired engineers from Bosnia, they did not know English, but they knew the work. No other company would hire them; once I hired them they had an income and then took English classes at night, and after a period of time they felt grounded in this country.
When growing up, my Grandfather was my protector and my mentor. My Grandfather took over this role since my father was in the Army and away from home most of the time. Over the years in letters that I would write to my Father, I fondly described my Grandfather and our early morning prayers together during cold mornings and how my Grandfather would wrapped us both in a blanket to stay warm. To this day when I talk about my Grandfather my eyes fill with tears.
In being a Scientist and now an Educator, my passion today is to help the low socio-economic learn basic education and skill sets by integrating technology with education. I am thankful that I was able to launch an education portal, Odyssia Learning Inc., with focus on South Asia and the USA in the very low socio-economic market segment. I continue to collaborate with others who have similar passion... helping the underprivileged.
Sultan W. Khan
Young graduate - 1969. Integrated high speed printer Peripheral device and its application within NASA's extensive Sigma V computer network for launch and tracking of Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 to Jupiter, at NSA Godard Space Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. MA.
Tested navigation and guidance control software developed by IBM at Rockwell International; subsequently simulation within Space environment at Rockwell International.
Developed a test controller, integrated with NCR century computer. Testing of Initial Floppy disk drives.
Part of a design and development team at CDC/MPI and NCR. Point of Sale terminal. Spent time at NCR location Wichita, KS integrating and testing the POS terminal within NCR network.
• Project Manager of Electronic design team.
• Developed a parallel computing processor within application of High-speed printer devices. My team and I were awarded a patent on the design and development of this unique processing technology.
• Created a 24-bit word controller using ALU and discrete electronic logic with its own Operating System customized to work in real-time in performing multiple functions. Most profitable product in the history of Data products Inc.
• Created auto-testing first in the industry to use built in computing device in test and support of the product. Uniqueness of the product was scalable from 300 lines per minute to 1000 lines per minute, with the same parallel processing concept and product.
• Developed and experimented with an Intel microprocessor and Bit Slice technologies in high-speed printing controller application into high-speed computer peripheral devices and Matrix printers.
• Responsible for evaluation, development and research within emerging micro-processing technologies from Intel, Motorola and Fairchild. Researched each of their application and development tools, total system architecture, depth of systems vs components commitment, cost vs performance benefits. Recommended Intel as a standard product for Control Data and NCR.
• Data Products - Responsible for evaluation, development and research within emerging micro-processing technologies from Intel, Motorola and Fairchild. Researched each of their applications and development tools, total system architecture, depth of systems vs components commitment and cost vs performance benefits. Recommended Intel as a standard product.
• Data Products - Evaluate bit slice technologies vs Intel microprocessor with feasibility in using specific technologies with the Corporate design approvals and usage. Compared this with using hardware specific to Data Products in parallel processing design in addressing real time of multiple functions within the high-speed processing.
• Texas Instruments - Presentation to senior management of its shortfall of its strategy in marketing its own computing products and second source of existing Intel microprocessor. Highlighted reasons why Intel success vs Texas Instruments shortfall in marketing these microprocessor products. The major reason was that Intel was taking a system approach with support and its development tools; while Texas Instrument’s approach was from a component standpoint. Evaluated one of Texas Instruments multiple real-time interrupt driven microprocessor products using propriety computing architecture using parallel processing concept.
• Texas Instrument - Recommended 'All-in-one' microprocessor. Based on the recommendation ,Texas Instruments developed a Multi-function 'All-in-one' Microprocessor product. Subsequently it became a very successful product.
• Texas Instruments - Worked on 'Bubble Memory' application. Worked with strategic client to design its Bubble Memory into specific application. I was a warded a 'Letter of Excellence' from the Vice-President of Texas Instruments.
• Texas Instruments - Worked on 'Charge Couple' devices, a single source product from the Company. Worked with Texas Instruments marketing and engineering to keep this product in production until the life of the clients product cycle.
• Texas Instruments - Worked and had understanding of 'Fiber Optics' technologies. Understanding of companies transmitters and receivers. Analyzed fiber material options and limitations with their pros and cons. Helped Telecom clients design in 'Texas Instruments components' within their applications.
• Facilitated designed in TI Bubble Memory at Client. One of kind unique achievement and a complex interaction and support between TI and the Client. I was awarded letter of excellence by VP of sales at Texas Instruments.
• Highest sales award in 1982. Awarded a Texas Instruments Shield, excellence in highest market penetration within a new territory.
• Sales award. Number one in competition in new memory sale. Awarded 4 Gold Krugerrand.
• Exceeded sales quota beyond maximum, whereby built a new territory from zero to $30 Million for Texas Instruments in less than two years. Awarded letters of commendations from Vice President and other Senior Management of Texas Instruments.
• Presentation to Senior Management with recommendation of design of all in one microprocessor chip, compete with Intel and Motorola products. Subsequently the Company designed an All-in-One microprocessor chip. Most successful product within its category.
• Report of an Analysis to Texas Instruments Senior Management after researched and identified pros and cons of Texas Instruments unique computer chip set with parallel interrupt architecture, when then current markets addressed by Intel and Motorola stack base systems.
Recognized 1993/94 Global Business Leader.
With Illustration of Computer Peripherals Inc. as a Growth Company.
TCA 100 Recipient award 1989.
Highest award in getting 'Bubble Memory' order for Texas Instruments from VP Sales.
In selling memory products at Texas Instruments, awarded 4 Gold Krugerrand & Certificate of Excellence.
Presented with a Shield of excellence, 1982.
Research and Development on all early microprocessors and bit slice technologies at Control Data.
Design team of first Floppy drive in the industry using stainless steel head at CDC/NCR. Subsequently converted to Ceramic Head material.
Research and Development on all early microprocessors and bit slice technologies at Control Data. Recommendation to NCR and CDC on technologies.
Managed Electronic Reach and Development team in developing high speed line printer. Received Patent on parallel processing computer architecture within high speed printer application at Data Products Inc.
• Developed an integrated system, interacting LMS with propriety website uploaded with contents in focused areas: Autism, Teacher Training, ESL, Social Media, MS Office, GMAT, Placement Tests and Counseling. Enhanced with content Lc. from IXL in K-1 thru K-12 in English and Math, collaborations with Ethos Education Group in Character Building and in art with Zambeel Art.
• Giving access of this opportunity to very low socio-economic markets via internet offering: Online Learning (Distance Learning): Self Learning, Blended Learning and or Virtual in-class learning using zoom technology.
• Market to very low socio-economic adults and students of USA and South Asia. Help them achieve their aspirations in uplifting their basic educations skill set, help them in getting better job or going for higher learning.
• Developed a Learning Management System (LMS), access via hosted cloud or behind the firewall self-contained.
• Unique technologies first LMS behind the local firewall concept.
• Helped the Company get financing via private capital, subsequent to getting it pubic listed on the US Exchange. IPO on OTC.
• Ethnic portal focus on positive image of Global Muslim community.
• Helped structure it into a C-Corporation.
• Helped get it capitalized in USA via network of high network individuals and in UAE’s Institutional investors.
• Worked with the CEO in business development, financial presentation and strategic plan for its growth in the new emerging global Muslim products, awareness and services.
• First to launch a fax/modem add-on product in collaboration with Rockwell International within Personal Computer market. Using Rockwell International proprietary chip.
• Become a major supplier of Fax/Modem products within the US Personal Computer markets.
• Within two years, established the Company in an International presence in Europe and USA. A major supplier of 'Personal Computing Enhancement Products' to fortune 1000 companies and mass merchants.
• Written up in Caneijo Valley history book as the fast-emerging Tech Company.
• Established the company in an International presence in Europe, Middle East and USA. A major supplier of 'Personal Computing Enhancement Products 'to fortune 1000 companies and mass merchants.
• Design and Develop & Supplier of a very comprehensive line of Personal Computer add-on products,
• Design and Develop & Supplier of complete HP laser printer cartridges to US and International distributors and OEM markets.
• First to develop a 40-column thermal printer product for low cost label printer markets. Using Olivetti print head technologies.
• OEM supplier to Siemen and Olivetti, Personal Computer products.
• A part of the Tech migration from transistors and vacuum tubes to large scale integrated circuits, microprocessors to the current technologies.
• Designed from simple paper tape interfaces to Disk Drive controllers then on to parallel processing computer work as an engine within peripherals devices.
• Worked on project like NASA Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 on to Columbia Shuttle, my passion for space exploration.
• Designed microprocessor and bit slice-based technology in controllers and peripherals devices. Using Intel and Motorola technologies.
• Designed dedicated parallel computer architecture using a 24-bit word, created a dedicate language to perform multiple task in high speed mode within a high-speed printing device, from 300 line per minute to 1000 lines per minute. Received a patent on this technology.
• Part of the evolution in the modem and other telecom communication from basic 120 baud modems to the current high-speed communication and networking devices.
• Worked for fortune 1000 companies, research on Bubble memory, microprocessors, fiber Optics. Evaluated each pros and cons and have used in multiple applications. Achieved a TCA award in San Fernando Valley, California.
• Excelled in Sale and marketing. Awarded number one ranking at a fortune 1000 company, Texas Instruments. Received awards for being the best and an overachiever. Recognized in Who's Who 1993/94 in world leadership achievement.
• In start-up companies; introduced unique and innovative products, creating brand recognition and high growth.
• Helped in charities, communities and outreach to immigrants by giving-back via offering a platform to underprivileged adults and children. This platform continues to serve these individuals by providing a means to enhance their skill sets, help them obtain better jobs and to facilitate their advancement onto higher education.
• Mentored young adults in the family, sharing a roadmap with motivational skill sets, which resulted in them becoming successful in achieving their aspirations and ambitions.
• Managed and proctored visiting German post graduate finance students to California State University, Fullerton. Assigned them finance, technology and social media project. Evaluated their research and their prognoses. Reported to Finance professor at the university.
• Leadership and contributory role in set of Islamic centers, social communities like the Pakistan Art Counsel, board member of Islamic Information service. And help immigrants in improving their social and education/vocational skills. Help mentor young adults in the family and at Graduate School level at Cal-State University.
• Donations to Schools, organizations and individuals.
• The Hunar Foundation; a non-profit organization. Helped in establishing its 501C IRS status in USA, enabling them to access financial contribution from USA for Vocational Learning Centers in Pakistan.
• Kidney Center; a non-profit organization. Helped in establishing its 501C IRS status in USA.
• Pakistan Art Counsel under USC Pacific Asia Museum. Founding Member and financial contributor.
• USC Pacific Asia Museum. Contribute financial donation.
• Mosques donations: Help contribute and set up new Islamic Centers in Southern California.
• Help immigrants from Pakistan, Iraq and Bosnia in giving them opportunities to access to their training and vocational skills.
• Provide internship to skilled immigrants from Bosnia and Pakistan, help them get established within the US infrastructure, converted them to permanent job position once qualified.
• Illustrate positive image of Muslims in USA via TV and other media outlets.
• Facilitated one to one discussion and television talk show forums with iconic and religious leaders with IIS chairman of the board.
· Edward Saied
· Anne Marie Schimmel
· Mohammad Ali (Famous boxer Cassius Clay converted to Islam).
· Guy Eaton
· Cat Stevens (Famous British singer converted to Yousuf Islam)
· Mohammad Assad
· Lou Farrakhan
· John Esposito
· Karim Abdul Jabber
· Karin Armstrong
• Facilitated interfaith discussions.
• Facilitated yearly IIS award ceremonies, presentation of award to the outstanding individual providing positive image of Islam in USA.
• Coordinate communication and awareness among all Islamic Centers and Islamic City within Southern California with IIS.
• As a member of IIS, Network with the different political and religious organization within USA and other countries.
Intellectual discussion on awareness of Cultural, religious and immigrant issues in USA with community leaders within the interfaith groups.
• Mentored young adults in the family, show roadmap and motivational skill sets, resulting in them becoming successful in achieving their aspirations and ambitions.
Managed and proctored visiting German post graduate finance students to California State University, Fullerton. Assigned them finance, technology and social media project. Evaluated their research and their prognoses. Reported to Finance professor at the university.
Contributed in iconic exhibit of Pakistan Art Counsel presentation in Paramount Studios, highlighting the region in civilization within last 5000 years.
• Facilitated and contributed in multiple art exhibitions and other social events within Pakistan Art Counsel.